Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time has finally done what its three nominated predecessors couldn't — tonight, it took home the Japanese Academy Film Prize for Animation of the Year, the country's highest honor for theatrical anime.
— 日本アカデミー賞協会 (@japanacademy) March 11, 2022
Sing a Bit of Harmony, Fortune Favors Lady Nikuko, JUJUTSU KAISEN 0 and BELLE were also up for the award, with the latter being nominated for Best Music as well.
Previous winners of the grand prize include:
- 2007: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
- 2008: Tekkon Kinkreet
- 2009: Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
- 2010: Summer Wars
- 2011: The Secret World of Arrietty
- 2012: From Up on Poppy Hill
- 2013: Wolf Children
- 2014: The Wind Rises
- 2015: Stand by Me Doraemon
- 2016: The Boy and the Beast
- 2017: In This Corner of the World
- 2018: Night Is Short, Walk On Girl
- 2019: Mirai
- 2020: Weathering with You
- 2021: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Movie: Mugen Train
Earlier this month, Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time took home the Japan Academy's fan-voted Popularity Award, thus cementing its legacy among industry professionals and fans alike.
Der shy man behind @Shymander, Liam is a timezone-fluid Aussie with a distinct fondness for anime, Eurovision and creating odd stats projects despite hating math.